This simple mocha smoothie recipe is a great way to get a much needed caffeine hit alongside a bunch of other nutrients that are actually good for you. For anyone who needs their morning coffee, it’s a cool and refreshing alternative that’s perfect for a summer morning or throwing into the gym bag. Avocado adds Vitamin K, C, B5, B6 and E, not to mention potassium, protein and folate. The yoghurt is a perfect way to get in a serving of dairy, and the coconut water counters the diuretic effect of caffeine.
I am, without a doubt, addicted to coffee. It’s probably one of the few things I can admit I’m truly addicted to – it’s hard for me to go a day without it (same goes for collecting books and buying things online… but that’s a topic for another day). And while I wouldn’t hasten to replace my daily steaming-hot cup of espresso, I’d certainly consider a mocha smoothie as a decent alternative when I want something cold but not sugar loaded (store-bought frappes may taste great but are EVIL!), or when my diet’s been not-so-great and I need something that’s good for and tastes great at the same time.
Do you have a go-to coffee smoothie/milkshake recipe? Would love your feedback on this one!
- 2 cups coconut water (add/reduce according to the consistency you prefer)
- 1 shot of espresso (double to increase coffee flavour - I keep it to one as I'm breastfeeding)
- 1 small avocado
- 1 large dollop Greek or low-sugar vanilla yoghurt ( try Jalna's Coconut Sweet & Creamy Greek Yoghurt - amazing) or use straight coconut yoghurt if you want this to be dairy-free
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder OR 1 tablespoons chocolate-flavoured Healthy Mummy smoothie powder
- Combine all ingredients in a blender; blend until smooth