This chocolate and chia seed banana bread recipe is something I’ve been wanting to try for weeks. I looove banana bread and have been snacking on it in between my midnight feeds. The store-bought stuff is crammed with sugar and generally doesn’t contain anything that good for you. I’m not going to pretend this version is healthy, but it does contain goodies to make it less naughty than your average slice.
I made it yesterday because when things aren’t going well, I like to bake. It’s not that I’m particularly good at baking, I just find it therapeutic. I think it’s got something to do having a process to follow and the creative aspect of cooking that makes it a pleasant distraction from other things I could be focussing on. Oh, and having nice things to eat after is a bonus.
Yesterday, Mr 4 was the most miserable I’ve seen him in months; he was out of sorts with a fever over 38°C for most of the day and crying… a lot. More than his baby brother, even. And it goes without saying that taking care of a sick toddler from 4:30am, in between feeding and caring for a newborn made for a very draining day.
So when both boys were napping in the morning, I baked banana bread. Weird, I know, because normal people rest when they’re feeling drained, but baking it was oddly satisfying and energising. Cutting into a slice of it for afternoon tea was also satisfying… and energising. Must be those dark chocolate chunks.
This chocolatey and (somewhat) healthy take on the regular banana bread is great for afternoon tea, or to take to a party for dessert. The chia seeds are a source of Omega-3 fatty acids and, along with the coconut flour, provide bit of extra fibre. Dark chocolate chunks reduce the need for the amount of refined sugar required in a traditional banana bread recipe. Store it in an air-tight container in a cool, dark place for a few days. That’s if you manage to get through a day without eating all of it. ?
Here’s the recipe – I hope you enjoy it.
Chocolate-Chia Banana Bread
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup soy milk (also works with almond milk)
- 2 (over)ripe medium to large bananas
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 75 g melted butter (or vegan alternative)
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 180 g chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Grease and line a bread tin with baking paper (use extra, so it hangs over the edge and it's easy to pull the loaf out when it's done).
- Sift and combine flours and sugar into a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl mash the bananas, then combine with milk, eggs and butter.
- Pour banana mixture into the bowl with flour and mix until well combined.
- Fold chia seeds and chocolate chunks into the batter.
- Use a spatula to scoop batter into the bread tin.
- Bake for 45-55min or until skewer comes out clean when pricked.