I’ve told myself over and over again for quite a while now that I need to start writing again, but the problem is I get in front of my computer and (as with many things in my life) I don’t know where to start.
But this morning as the winter chill slapped my face, something else hit me: start simple. It must have been something to do with the recent conversation I had with my girlfriends where the focus seemed to be on committing to taking baby steps so as not to be daunted by the idea of taking giant leaps of faith.
With that in mind, I’ve given myself a very easy task; a very simple exercise: write a list. Since I’m obsessed with lists and write them everyday (I think it’s a mental condition that I have – but more on that topic another day), this exercise should be easy.
Below are five good/positive/pleasant/joyful things that have stood out today. Back when I was a much more optimistic person, I used to write this list every night before I went to bed: simple blessings from that day for which I was grateful. They didn’t have to be extraordinary – just a reminder that sometimes even the simplest of things deserve to be acknowledged and that the Giver of such things ought to be thanked for putting a smile on my face.
1. The water that I washed my face with this morning was warm.
2. I got a seat on the train.
3. I saw something that I’ve never seen before in my life: the man who served me coffee had the most amazing handlebar mustache! It was so curly and defined I did a double-take and spent the walk back to my desk wondering how much time he takes to maintain and style it everyday.
4. It rained buckets the whole day but the downpour calmed when I left my building on my way home from work. And this time my socks didn’t get wet…. yessssss….
5. I’ve started writing again.