He’s gonna hate me for sharing these. But this is more a reminder for me… for days when we’ve had a fight, or he disappoints me, or I feel like I do everything and he does nothing. This isn’t me bragging, because I know my husband is far from perfect. But I think of these things – six things out of the hundreds of thousands of things he does daily – and I feel so blessed. I know he’s not a perfect man, he is definitely perfect for me.
- When he meets me at the station to pick me up after work he always asks me if he can carry anything. One time he said, “Can I hold anything?” And when I shook my head, he said, “How about your hand?” And he slipped his hand in mine and I felt like a teenage girl all over again.
- He always walks on the side of the footpath that’s closest to the traffic. He isn’t Superman and he isn’t going to stop a truck with his bare hands… but knowing he chooses to put himself closer to the danger is enough for me.
- Sometimes I’ll walk into the room and he’ll say to our son, “Who’s that beautiful woman? It’s Mama!” And both of them smile they’re gorgeous, identical smile. Heart-melting.
- He prays with me and for me. And there’s nothing more affirming than a man who is humble enough to know that he isn’t in control, and that his best move is to surrender his hopes, goals, dreams, plans and pride to the Greater Power up in Heaven who can turn his weakness into strength.
- If we’re eating a bowl of grapes he’ll give me all the best ones and eat all the soggy ones. And if there’s two apples left in the refrigerator he inspects them both and takes the older, bruised one and gives me the fresh one. It might seem silly, or really simple… but I notice it. And I’m grateful. He takes the worst so I can have the best.
- He makes me laugh. Everyday.